Sutton Town Hall is located at 93 Main Street, Bradford, NH 03221.
On November 30, 1749, the Masonian Proprietors granted "Perrystown," the township that would later become Sutton, to 30 men from Haverhill District and Kingston in New Hampshire and to 25 from Haverhill, Newbury, Andover, and Bradford in Massachusetts. During the following winter, Obadiah Perry, the surveyor Timothy Clements, and four other men worked 28 days laying out and marking the lots in the town which were assigned to the 55 town proprietors at a lottery on July 11, 1750.
In spite of the early drawing of lots, Perrystown did not have any settlers until Samuel Peaslee arrived in April, 1770. A 1771 map and its accompanying documents show the existing roads, house locations, and dates of arrival for Perrystown's first settlers — Samuel Peaslee, Cornelius Bean, Thomas Cheney, Jacob Davis, Ephraim Gile, and Samuel Bean — and the partly built house of John Knight. By 1784, Perrystown had grown to about 50 families and was incorporated by the state under its new name of Sutton.
Much of the land in town, including the tops of hills, was cleared for grazing or cropland and remained open for well over a century, but many of the farms were abandoned as the town's population gradually declined after 1820. The topography of the town led to the development of three main villages — South Sutton, Sutton Mills, and North Sutton — each with a church and a store and with family dwellings close together. Smaller gatherings of houses and a few businesses gave East Sutton an identity along with the now abandoned lesser communities of Potash Corner and Palmertown. Late 19th century summer residents began to make Blaisdell Lake popular.
Nearby Towns: Bradford Town • New London Town • Newbury Town •