Henniker Town Hall is located at 18 Depot Hill Road, Henniker, NH 03242.
In the spring of 1760, Reverend James Scales, having come into possession of some land in the easterly part of the township, built a log cabin under the hill known as Foster Hill. Mr. Scales was a native of Roxford, Massachusetts.
Mr. James Peters and his family moved into town from Hopkinton and built a log house near the one occupied by Mr. Scales.
In June, 1763, Eliakim Howe, Amos Gould and Thomas Stone moved into town from Marlborough, Massachusetts. They settled in the southeast part of the township and were joined that year by Jonas Bowman of Lexington, Massachusetts, who settled near them. In the same year William Peters, a son of James, the first settler, moved into town from Hopkinton, and settled easterly near his father. Josiah Ward and his family moved into town from Marlborough, Massachusetts in September of 1763. In 1764 Deacon Ebenezer Harthorn came, also from Marlborough, and became the 13th settler in the town. In 1765 Anna Campbell came from Hawke (Danville) and became a large land owner. He erected the first 2-story, frame house in 1766, Deacon Harthorn erecting the 2nd one in 1768. In 1765 came Alexander Patterson and his family, including his sons Joseph and Isaac, who settled on what is known as "Goss Hill." Ezra Tucker and family came the same year and settled in the westerly part of the town.
In 1768, the township having become settled in various places, a move was made for an act of incorporation, which was secured November 10, 1768.
Nearby Towns: Hillsborough Town •