Jefferson Town Hall is located at 698 Presidential Highway, Jefferson, NH 03583.
This territory was first granted in 1765 as Dartmouth, after William Legge, Earl of Dartmouth and patron of Dartmouth College. The location was so deep in unexplored territory that few took up their claims, and a re-grant was issued to several influential men from about the state. Those who did settle the area included Samuel Hale and Colonel Joseph Whipple of Portsmouth, who cut trails through the forests to build a manor house. Colonel Whipple was a brother of William Whipple, signer of the Declaration of Independence, and an ardent supporter of Thomas Jefferson. At the Colonel's suggestion, the town was incorporated in 1796 as Jefferson, four years prior to Thomas Jefferson's election as President. [www.nh.gov, Economic and Labor Market Information Bureau, accessed June, 2011]
Nearby Towns: Lancaster Town •