Photo: George and Nancy Turner House, ca. 1868, 78 S. C Street , Fremont, NE. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. Photographed by User:Ammodramus (own work), 2012, [cc-by-1.0 (creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed June, 2013.
Fremont City Hall is located at 400 East Military Avenue, Fremont, NE 68025.
The townsite of Fremont was platted in 1856 and was described as a small settlement of "6 or 8 log cabins scattered on either side of Military Avenue," when the Turners arrived in the area. By 1860, the village was incorporated and designated the county seat. George Turner became one of the first commissioners of Dodge County in 1860 and was re-elected to serve from 1862-1868.
Fremont's future was secured with the completion of three rail lines through the city, including the Union Pacific in 1866. Turner donated his property located south of the commercial district to the Union Pacific for right of way. Like other early area settlers, the Turners replaced their original log cabin with a substantial permanent dwelling. The house, completed in 1868, was one of several noted by the local newspaper as indicative of the "superior class of houses" being built.