The Oakwood Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. It was subsequently extended in 1988. The original nomination included nearly 250 buildings.
"Developed primarily during a fifty-year period from 1880-1930, the Oakwood Historic District (designated in 1975) has the most diverse collection of architecture among Raleigh's historic districts. The neighborhood was built in the dense woods of northeast Raleigh known as "Mordecai Grove" and sold off in parcels after the Civil War. It developed incrementally, bit by bit, often lot by lot, with streets extended as needed, in contrast to Boylan Heights, which was platted in a single subdivision. " — source: Raleigh Historic Districts Commission, Raleigh Design Guidelines, 2001.
Bloodworth Street North • Boundary Street • Delway Street • East Street North • Edenton Street East • Elm Street • Franklin Street East • Jones Street East • Lane Street East • Latham Way • Leonidas Court • Linden Avenue • New Bern Avenue • North Street East • Oakwood Avenue • Pace Street • Peace Street • Person Street North • Polk Street • Swain Street North • Wantauga Street