Clayton Town Hall is located at 111 East Second Street, Clayton, NC 27520.
Clayton as described in 1922 
The Town of Clayton came into existence in 1882. It was first known as Stallings, the name coming from one of its earliest citizens, a widow. When the North Carolina Railroad passed through Stallings, the name was change to Stallings Station. Later, when the railroad had gone on to Greensboro, there stepped off it one morning a gentleman wearing a high hat, a long coat, and other fashionable wearing apparel that stamped him as an individual of some distinction. He was not a preacher as you might think from the description, but a teacher. He was from Tennessee and in search of a good, healthy locality in which to establish a school. He stayed at Stallings Station for several days. He liked the people, the climate, the location and it was here that he built his school, calling it Clayton Academy. The school flourished and the town prospered. The old name of Stallings Station passed away and instead Clayton was employed. Since then it has continued to prosper and today it is one of the leading towns in the county.