The Cabarrus County Courthouse is located at 77 Union Street South, Concord, NC 28025. The Cabarrus County Governmental Center is located at 65 Church Street Southeast, Concord, NC 28025; phone: 704-920-2100.
Photo: Robert Harvey Morrison Farm and Pioneer Mills Gold Mine, circa 1850. Located on 730 Morrison Road, Midland. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. Wikipedia username: RoxylovesHistory, [cc-4.0], 2016, accessed December, 2021.
Created in 1792 from Mecklenburg County, Cabarrus is named for Stephen Cabarrus (1754-1808) of Chowan County who served as Speaker of the North Carolina House of Representatives from 1789 to 1793.
The discovery of gold in 1799 on John Reed's farm along Little Meadow Creek in Cabarrus County, North Carolina, resulted in the opening of the earliest documented gold mining operation in the present boundaries of the United States and led to the nation's first gold rush. Through 1828 all of the native gold coined by the United States Mint came from North Carmlina and largely from Cabarrus and surrounding counties. With the discovery of gold near Dahlonega, Georgia, in 1829, the "gold fever" quickly spread to include all of central and western North Carolina, western South Carolina, and northern Georgia. The total gold production of this region before 1860 has been estimated variously from $50,000,000 to $65,000,000. Although eclipsed by the great California gold discoveries and largely depleted by 1860, the Appa&achian gold fields had created a new industry and an important source of income for the Nation~. They also served as the training ground which prepared American miners for the subsequent development of mining in the West.