The South Panola Street Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [‡]
The South Panola Street Historic District is a collection of twelve principal structures spread out along South Panola Street (U.S. Highway 51) largely south of its intersection with West Tate Street and north of its intersection with Church Street in the city of Senatobia, Tate County, Mississippi. The South Panola Street Historic District's character is primarily residential in nature, though there is one commercial structure that appears to be related to the growth of U.S. Highway 51 as a major highway corridor during the twentieth century. The historical development of this district is intrinsically tied to another historic district along the northern portions of Panola Street (see North Panola Street Historic District, NR listed); however, because of recent commercial development at or near the intersections of Panola Street and West Main/West Tate streets, the two districts are no longer contiguous.
Buildings in the South Panola Street Historic District were built on lots ranging in frontage width from 80 feet to 150 feet, and lot depths ranging from 135 feet to 405 feet. Residences in the South Panola Street Historic District are set back from the line of Panola Street by a range of as little as 40 feet to as many as 100 feet. Commercial buildings in the South Panola Street Historic District have lesser setbacks of twenty to twenty-five feet. With the exception of the commercial uses, all of the lots within the South Panola Street Historic District are set upon low land terraces that are heavily shaded by mature street and lawn trees, shrubs and ornamental plantings. Tree species are notably native varieties of red oak, white oak, maple, red gum, tulip poplar, and magnolia. The commercial properties of the district are set at grade with Panola Street.
The architectural character of the South Panola Street Historic District displays a range of nineteenth and twentieth century styles and types. Architectural styles represented are the Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Craftsman, Minimalist Traditional, Tudor Revival and commercial Art Moderne. House types include the pyramidal cottage, center hall cottage, double-pile cottage, bungalow (with and without "airplane"), side L-plan house, Cape, and English cottage forms. The styles and forms found here represent a cross-section of the architectural character and building types that exist in historic areas throughout Senatobia.
Additional note is made to the qualities of setting and streetscape which contribute to the character of the South Panola Street Historic District. These elements of the district's character are provided by the pattern of lots divisions, front yard and side yard setbacks which establish the historic rhythm in the streetscape; its pattern of historic street trees, sidewalks, land terraces lawns and private plantings all serve as evidence of the continuity of the district as a place for living. All of these qualities provide a contribution to the significance of the South Panola Street Historic District.
The South Panola Street Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the area of architecture for its significant contribution to the diversity of Senatobia's historic architecture. The range of architectural styles, building forms and their respective construction dates make a strong contribution to the sense of time and place that is unique to Senatobia. The period of significance for the South Panola Street Historic District was derived from the date of construction for its earliest structure, and the date of construction of its latest historic structure.
The South Panola Street Historic District reflects a development pattern that is consistent with that of the pattern of Senatobia as a whole. Residential development along this portion of Panola Street is tied, in part, to the importance of Panola Street as a major early road transportation corridor. It appears that the Panola Road (or Stage Road, as it was sometimes called in early records) actually pre-dates the establishment of Senatobia as the major north-south roadway linking the courthouse of DeSoto County in Hernando with the original courthouse of Panola County at Sardis. While there were scattered antebellum residences in Senatobia, the creation of Tate County in 1873 with its new courthouse at Senatobia caused the need for residential development, which occurred in waves concentrated in the latter quarter of the nineteenth century and first quarter of the twentieth century. The South Panola Street Historic District contains representative examples of the building forms, architectural styles and other design elements inherent to the times and trends of these building periods.
In comparison with other historic residential areas of Senatobia, the South Panola Street Historic District contains an element which reflects the impact of the Panola Road as an important regional transportation artery, the former service station located at 208(b) South Panola Street. Though there were earlier automotive service stations in Senatobia, including one on this location that was developed by 1915, the growing importance of the automobile in American life during the first half of the twentieth century is represented well by this structure.
In sum, the South Panola Street Historic District serves to reinforce the qualities of the historic architectural character that define Senatobia as a livable place worthy of preservation.
Carpenter, Howard, editor, The History of Tate County. (Senatobia, MS: B/C Printing, 1975)
Sanborn-Ferris Insurance Map Company, "Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of Senatobia." Map series 1902, 1907, 1915, 1925, 1936-1942.
Tate County Genealogical and Historical Society, Inc., The Heritage of Tate County, Mississippi. (Curtis Media, 1991)
‡ John Linn Hopkins, Preservation Consultant, South Panola Street Historic District, Tate County, Senatobia, MS, nomination document, 1993, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
Panola Street South • Route 51