The North Memphis Street Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [‡]
The three-acre North Memphis Street Historic District is located northwest of the Holly Springs Courthouse Square Historic District. It is the major link between the central business district and Holly Springs' Rust College and Mississippi Industrial College [see Mississippi Industrial College Historic District]. Lots in the North Memphis Street Historic District are significantly smaller than in the other three historic district neighborhoods. The quality of the housing stock deteriorates sharply and increased commercial development has occurred at the north end of the North Memphis Street Historic District.
The North Memphis Street Historic District is the smallest of the three architecturally significant residential neighborhoods of Holly Springs. This eclectic but harmonious collection of fourteen buildings is, in essence, a microcosm of the historic architectural resources of Holly Springs. Three Greek Revival residences stand side by side with a Queen Anne cottage, several Bungalows and a variety of Folk cottages. The Anderson Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church has long been associated with nearby Mississippi Industrial College, a church-affiliated black college established by Bishop Elias Cottrell in 1905. Although there are no intrusions within the boundaries of the North Memphis Street Historic District, unsympathetic commercial development along the west side of North Memphis Street threatens to encroach upon the residential character of the neighborhood.
‡ North Memphis Street Historic District, Marshall County, MS, nomination document, NR# 83000962, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
Memphis Street North • Route 7