Wyoming City Hall is located at 1155 28th Street SW, Wyoming, MI 49509.
Wyoming is a growing suburban community adjoining Grand Rapids on the southwest. Early Wyoming dates back to 1832, but it was 1833 when Buck Creek was first used to power grist and saw mills in the settlement. However, by 1842 when a larger canal to power industry was built around the rapids in downtown Grand Rapids, industrial development shifted away from the area.
In 1848, Byron Township was split into two 36 square mile townships. The southern township remained as Byron Township but the northern one was renamed and became known as Wyoming Township. Its name reflected the fact that more of its residents came from Wyoming County, New York, than anywhere else. The northwest portion, beyond the Grand River, was deeded to Walker Township because it was so hard to reach.
For the most part, Wyoming grew up as an agricultural area, though it did support industries such as lumbering and mining. In the 1850's, plank roads and railroads came to the area and surpassed the Grand River as the preferred mode of cargo and passenger transport.
Nearby Towns: Grand Rapids City • Grandville City •