Berrien County administrative offices are located at 701 Main Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085. Phone: 269-983-7111.
Photo: Henry A. Chapin House, circa 1882, 508 E. Main St., Niles. The DIstrict was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. Photographed by wikipedia username:JDNorry (own work), 2014, [cc-3.0], via wikimedia commons, accessed March, 2023.
Berrien County [†] prominently appears in the earliest recordings of history in the Northwest Territory. Father Marquette, French Missionary, entered the St. Joseph River mouth in 1669, and French explorer LaSalle built Fort Miami at the present site of St. Joseph City in 1679.
Fort St. Joseph was established by the French in 1691 just south of the present site of the city of Niles. The fort was surrendered to the British about 1761, captured by Chief Pontiac in 1763, taken by the Spaniards in 1781, and by the United States after the Revolutionary War. Thus it became known as "he Land of Four Flags," which is the theme of the new Berrien County Flag adopted in July, 1967.
† www.berriencounty.org, accessed March, 2023.