Photo: Rigbie House, ca. 1781, Castleton Road, Darlington, MD. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Photographed by User: Ghpierson (own work), 2011, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed February, 2014.
Darlington is an unincorporated community in Harford County, MD. The Darlington Post Office is located at 1113 Main Street, Darlington, MD 21034.
Early Darlington 
Early Victorian Darlington enjoyed prosperity from the canal and fisheries while adding to those industies from an expanded agricultural economy as various tracts were subdivided into 100-acre and 200-acre farmsteads throughout the Deer Creek Valley.
During the 19th century Darlington village was the only real market center in the area. It enjoyed a generations-long prosperity thanks to a bountiful, grain-based economy as well as larger commercial ties with Baltimore and Philadelphia. Many businessmen, industrialists and capitalists from those cities discovered Darlington, built summer and permanent homes there, bringing with them the latest Queen Anne and Shingle Style designs to the otherwise quietly vernacular village.
In 1896 the Maryland State Gazette took note of Darlington on pages 485-486, describing it as "a pleasant vilalge of 500 inhabitants." The range of businesses and tradesmen suggests that the village has fleshed out considerably since 1871; moreover, most of the individuals had houses and shops that still line the village's two main streets.