Rush County administrative offices are located at 715 Elm Street, La Crosse, KS 67548; phone: 785-222-2718.
Rush County was surveyed in 1867 and organized in 1874. It was named for Captain Alexander Rush of the Kansas Colored Infantry. He was killed in action in Arkansas in 1864. The first white settler in the county was William Basham who came about 1870. A post office was established in Pioneer Township about 1871. Rush Center served as the first county seat. When the size of the county was reduced and Rush Center was no longer the center of the county, a 2-year contest ensued between the town and the newly platted La Crosse, located at the revised county center. La Crosse won out and became the permanent county seat.