The Valparaiso City Hall is located at 166 West Lincoln Way, Valparaiso IN 46383.
Incorporated in 1836 as "Portersville," the Porter County seat changed its name to Valparaiso in 1837, commemorating Captain David Porter's battle with the British off the Chilean City coast during the war of 1812.
The city is home to the 310 acre campus of Valparaiso University (Valpo) founded in 1859 as the "Valparaiso Male and Female College." The university's oldest building, Heritage Hall, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The university is composed of 5 undergraduate schools, a graduate division, and a law school. Valparaiso was included in U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges 2008."