Photo: Colonel Edward N. Kirk House (Paul W. Dillon House), ca. 1857, 1005 East 3rd Street, Sterling, IL. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Photographed by User:IvoShandor (own work), 2007, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed November, 2014.
Whiteside County administrative offices are located at 200 East Knox Street, Morrison, IL 61270; phone: 815-772-5100.
The county is named for General Samuel Whiteside, a native of Rutherford County, North Carolina. He served in the Indian Wars from 1812 to the close of the Black Hawk War. The county was established in 1836 and organized by May of 1839. The first county officers were: Nathaniel G. Reynolds, Elijah Worthington and John B. Dodge, commissioners; James C. Woodburn, Sheriff; Daniel B. Young, Probate Justice; David Mitchell, Treasurer; Charles B. Rood, Surveyor; Augustine W. Newhall, Recorder; Ivory Colcord, Coronor; and Guy Ray, County Clerk.