Stockbridge City Hall is located at 4640 North Henry Boulevard, Stockbridge, GA 30281.
Among the early settlers of this part of Henry County were the following: James Coker, Matthew Johnson, Jethro Harrell, Josiah McCulley, Gaston Hinton, Henry Merritt, Dr. Falls, John W. Henderson, James Wilkerson, James Nix, Elijah B. Arnold, Peter Zachry Ward, Davy James, W. W. Bay, O. McLendon, William Tuggle, Bins Willingham, Wiley Milam, and Joseph Askew.
The town of Stockbridge takes its name from Professor Stockbridge, who taught school at what is now known as Old Stockbridge, before the war of the sixties [1860s]. Grouped around that place were several houses, among them four log cabins, occupied by Sam Skelton, Lewis Coleman, Mrs. Harriet Brannan, and John Friddle. One of the settlers was Mike Jones, who owned forty acres of land. This property was bought by J. T. Bond, who set up a store, shoe shop and post office. He was also mail carrier, going to and from Jonesboro twice a week on horseback. Another post office, called Cotton Indian, was located three or four miles to the south, which supplied the people there with mail once a week from Decatur. The first physicians were Dr. Hambrick and Dr. Hightower.
The coming of the Southern Railroad in the year 1881 was an epoch and made great changes. This road was being built from Macon to Atlanta. The settlers who owned land about Old Stockbridge advanced the price of land to such a degree that the people would not buy it. The railroad would not locate a depot there. Two prominent Atlanta citizens, John W. Grant and George W. Adair, came and bought a tract about a mile to the south and offered lots at a reasonable price. This offer was readily accepted by many and on this tract the town of Stockbridge began its existence in 1882.
Nearby Towns: Lovejoy City • McDonough City •