Torrington City Hall is located at 140 Main Street, Torrington, CT 06790; phone: 860-489-2236.
The City of Torrington was chartered in 1923, and had a population of 26,000 in the 1930s. (population was 36,248 in the 2000 census). It is the largest city in Litchfield County.
Torrington had been first settled in 1737 and incorporated as a town in 1740. It was named from Great Torrington in the English Devonshire. A high hill country, it is cut by various branches of the Naugatuck River. Torrington contains the Paugnut State Forest, named for the last Indian chief in this region.
In 1813, Oliver Wolcott, Jr., of Litchfield established a large woolen mill on the Naugatuck River and the name of the former Orleans Village was changed to Wolcottville. The brass industry was established by Israel Coe in 1834, with machinery and workmen brought from England and transported by team from the coast. He was the first in the U.S. to make brass kettles by machine. The railroad up the valley opened in 1849. Among the industries present in 1935 were brass goods, machine tools, needles, hardware, sporting goods and cloth uniforms.
In the center of the city is the triangular Coe Memorial Park, given in memory of Lyman W. Coe, who in 1863 purchased and developed the brass industry started by his father, which became the nucleus of the great American Brass Company. Across from the park is the remarkable Library, a gift to the city from Elisha Turner. Southwest of the center, by Litchfield Street, on a commanding site, stands Charlotte Hungerford Hospital, one of the finest in the State, given in memory of Uri T. Hungerford, a native of Torrington, who became a wealthy brass merchant in New York.