Plainville Municipal Center is located at 1 Central Square, Plainville, CT 06062.
First settled about 1657, Plainville was originally part of Farmington. It was incorporated as a separate town in 1869. It was known until 1830 as the Great Plain of Farmington, and reminds one of a Western prairie town. There is a mountain range on the east, and a view of the Western Highlands to the west. When the Farmington Canal was opened in 1828, the village entered on a premature industrial boom, of which the remnants of some sites may be seen along the old Bristol Basin. In the 20th century, Plainville developed as a considerable manufacturing center for electrical and automotive parts. In 1935 the largest concerns were Trumbull Electric and Standard Steel and Bearings.