Broomfield is a consolidated City/County government established in 2001. Combined city/county municipal offices are located at 1 DesCombes Drive, Broomfield, CO 80020.
By 1940, Broomfield consisted of a small, unincorporated agricultural service center in the southeastern corner of Boulder County. In 1864, Henry and Sarah Church established a ranch at today's 104th Avenue and Olde Wadsworth Boulevard, operating a small stage stop along the Cherokee Trail that grew into a larger community known as "Church's." The Colorado Central Railroad tracks running north from Golden provided a transportation link for the area in 1873. Twelve years later, Adolph Zang and two partners purchased 4,000 acres of land in the vicinity of 120th Avenue and Olde Wadsworth Boulevard. Buying out his associates, Zang raised Percheron horses, fruit, and berries on his Elmwood Stock Farm, which included tenant operations producing dryland and irrigated crops. The small agrarian community, initially known as "Zang's Spur," later received the designation "Broomfield," for its acres of broom corn. The Denver and Interurban Railway initiated service through the area in 1908 and promoted a new subdivision with $125 lots "double the size of a city lot and large enough to keep a cow, chickens and have a garden." During the early twentieth century, grain elevators, a grange hall, a pickle factory, and several commercial establishments opened in the town, which remained a small agriculturally focused community of about 100 people until after World War II. The city incorporated in 1961 and became a city and county in 2001.
Nearby Towns: Federal Heights City • Louisville City • Westminster City •