2380 West 90th Avenue, Federal Heights, CO 80260.
Colorado and Southern Railway employee Harvey Larsen acquired two-and-a-half acres of land near West 92nd Avenue and Federal Boulevard in 1927. The elevated position of the site overlooking Denver inspired Larsen to name the area "Federal Heights." As traffic on the boulevard increased, Larsen established the North Federal Heights Grocery and Supply Station along the thoroughfare. The first privately owned airport in Colorado was established in the vicinity of Federal Heights. In the 1930s, Harry Ruston, who served as Colorado Attorney General, a federal judge, and journalist, built four-runway Federal Heights Airport, also known as "Ruston Field," on 320 acres near the intersection of West 100th Avenue and Federal Boulevard. In the late 1930s, the small number of residents in the area used a well on Harvey Larsen's land, which provided drinking water that was of questionable safety. Residents began meeting to discuss the water problems and concluded that incorporation was the only practical solution. Thirty-one residents of Federal Heights incorporated the town in 1940. "At the time, it was a small collection of houses just west of Federal Boulevard near West 88th and 90th avenues." One of the first town acts was to drill a new well providing better water. Federal Heights served as a convenient location and an affordable place to live for many wartime workers entering the metropolitan area. The community welcomed the makeshift homes that other areas spurned.
Nearby Towns: Arvada City • Broomfield City • Mountain View Town • Thornton City • Westminster City • Wheat Ridge City •