Piedmont City Hall is located at 120 Vista Avenue, Piedmont, CA 94611.
After the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, thousands of people fled across the bay, never to return. Piedmont grew 10-fold during a single year. The area that became Piedmont includes a 350 acre site purchased by James Gamble, president of Western Union, in 1877. He built a home and created the "Piedmont Land Company." In the 1880s there were 7 houses; the largest, painted yellow, could be viewed from San Francisco Bay. It was owned by Sarah Requa. At that time Piedmont had a mulberry orchard of over 600 trees and a silk spinning factory.
In 1907 papers were filed and Piedmont landowners voted to become a city. The first mayor was Varney Gaskill, succeeded a few months later by High Craig. Craig is considered the "father" of Piedmont. City Hall was built in 1908.
In the 1920s Piedmont was known as the "City of Millionaires" as there were more millionaires per square mile than in any U.S. city.
‡ History of Piedmont, www.ci.piedmont.ca.us, accessed May, 2011.
Nearby Towns: Alameda City • Oakland City • San Leandro City •