Photo: Phelps-Jones House, ca. 1820, 6112 Pulaski Pike, Huntsville, AL. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Photographed by user:Chris Pruitt (own work), 2011, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed April, 2014.
The Madison County Courthouse is located at 100 Northside Square, Huntsville AL 35801; phone: 532‑3390.
Named for President James Madison, the county was established in 1808 by Governor Robert Williams.
It's 800-plus square miles is bounded on the north by Tennessee and on the south by the Tennessee River.
Its county seat, Huntsville, served as a temporary State capital in 1819.