Madison City Hall is located at 100 Hughes Road, Madison, AL 35758.
John Cartwright was the first settler (1818) in the area that would become the City of Madison. He obtained a Federal land grant, and the place he settled was originally known as Madison Station. In 1856 the Memphis and Charleston Railroad was built through the area.
Established in 1856 as a shipping station on the Memphis and Charleston R.R., the town was platted on land owned by James Clemens and incorporated by vote of its citizens in 1869.
First officials included William R. Johnston, mayor, and five aldermen. William B. Dunn, Thomas J. Clay, George W. Martin, James H. Bibb, and Dr. George R. Sullivan.
The community remained small until the growth of industries associated with Redstone Arsenal and the Jetport in the 1950s and 1960s transformed Madison into a thriving city.