Sandy Historic District
The Sandy Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [†] Adaptation copyright © 2011, The Gombach Group.
The Sandy Historic District is located in the northeast section of Sandy, twelve miles south of Salt Lake City. The original square mile of the historic city is contained within its boundaries. The Salt Lake valley lies between the Oquirrh Mountains on the west and the Wasatch Mountains to the east. The entrances of Big and Little Cottonwood canyons with their historic mining areas are directly to the east of Sandy and those of Bingham Canyon across the valley to the west. The UTA Salt Lake valley light rail system, TRAX, runs along a previously under-utilized railway corridor on a slight diagonal through the Sandy Historic District, and the "Historic Sandy" (9000 South) TRAX station is found in the district. The station itself is not historic but named after the oldest section of the city, the area of the Sandy Historic District.
In a similar pattern to other towns in Utah, the majority of streets in the Sandy Historic District are laid out in an orthogonal grid. Sandy streets are narrower, however, and the blocks are smaller than the ten-acre blocks in Salt Lake City to the north. The street numbering in Sandy originally began at the commercial intersection of Main and Center Streets. There are four parks in the Sandy Historic District: Main Street Park, Bicentennial Park, Center Street Park, and Sandy Station Park. The Sandy Historic District runs along the east side of State Street on the west, along both sides of Pioneer Avenue (8530 South) on the north, from the north side of 9000 South on the south and 280 East to the east. To the east of 280 East, the district covers buildings on either side of the older streets of 8680 South, 8800 South and Locust Street between 280 East and 700 East. The boundaries of the Sandy Historic District have been drawn to encompass the highest concentration of historic buildings in Sandy.
The Sandy Historic District is composed of residential, commercial, and institutional buildings from two primary construction phases based on the Sandy City multiple property submissions: "The Mining, Smelting and Small Farm Era c.1871-1910" context and the "Agriculture, Small Business and Community Development 1906-1946" context. (The historic district contexts established in this nomination vary only slightly from the MPS contexts.) There are 540 primary buildings and 170 outbuildings in the district. Single family houses constitute 92 percent of the structures with 11 or 4 percent multi-family residential buildings. The majority of the buildings in the Sandy Historic District, 266: 317 less 51 previously listed buildings), or 54%, and 135 of the outbuildings contribute to the historic character of the district. Out-of-period and altered structures are scattered throughout the area but overall the district retains its historic feeling and association.
Architectural Styles and Types by Period
The architectural styles and types spread across periods and examples may combine elements of styles from several periods. A typical streetscape looking west on Main Street shows the combination of architectural styles and types in the district. Other streetscapes show the wide streets, mature trees, sidewalks, curbs, and gutters.
Boom Town: Mining and Smelting: c.1875-1906
The oldest known extant buildings in the Sandy Historic District date from this era. Classical styles are found in the earliest Utah buildings from 1847 through 1890 and later. There are 14 buildings with elements of Classical styling identified in the Sandy Historic District. Their forms tend to be gabled with rectangular, symmetrical facades and smooth wall surfaces. House types associated with Classical styles are hall-parlors, cross wings and other relatively plain forms. The Olsen/Maynard House, a simple brick c.1905 hall-parlor located at 8889 South 90 East, combines the hall-parlor form and Classical symmetry with Victorian Eclectic segmental arched window and door openings. The oldest extant house in the Sandy Historic District, the Samuel and Eliza Jenkins House is a frame drop-sided c.1875 cross wing with several historic era additions and a hipped roofed-porch c.1898 at 8658 South 120 East. A simple frame drop-sided house with the heavy cornices associated with Classical styling in the central section has additions on either side at 8814 South 400 East.
Victorian eclectic styles were popular in Utah from 1885 to 1910 and 61 of the buildings in the Sandy Historic District use the then fashionable Victorian styles. Victorian Eclectic is the term used to describe a style that combines elements of related styles of the era such as Queen Anne, Italianate, Greek Revival and Colonial Revival. They are characterized by asymmetrical facades, irregular massing, segmental arched window openings and patterned wooden shingles on the gable ends. The forms or types of the houses from this era found in the historic district are cross wings, central-block-with-projecting-bays, and central passage types. A vernacular drop-sided house in a simple rectangular shape with the narrow end to the street built c.1903 has a roof that is gabled on one end and hipped on the other is found at 8879? S. 90 East. A modest single-story central-block-with-projecting-bay brick house has a hipped porch supported by Doric wooden columns at 316 E. 8800 South. The front-facing gable with pent roof is imitated in the eastern addition to a stucco-clad central-block-with-projecting-bay type Victorian Eclectic, the Louis and Florence Van Dam House, at 407 E. 8800 South (NR, 12/9/1999). Decorative wooden shingles in the front-facing gable end of the central-block-with-projecting-bay type single story brick house show Victorian Eclectic style elements along with the Doric columns supporting the gabled porch at 387 E. 8800 South.
Some yards contain coops, barns or other buildings related to agricultural activities. Many of the outbuildings are not maintained and some are seriously dilapidated. A wooden shed-roofed coop now used for storage can be seen at the southeast corner of 8680 South and 250 East.
The Sandy Historic District includes the historic commercial center of Sandy along Main Street (8720 South) and Center Street (150 East). There are a number of false-fronted one-part-block brick and frame commercial buildings in the early twentieth century commercial or Victorian Eclectic styles. The Jensen and Kuhre Lumber and Hardware building on 179 East Main Street (8720 South) is a frame one-part-block built in 1895. Its gable roof is concealed by the false front with elaborate cornice. Max Polner Dry Goods (13 E. Main Street) is a Victorian Eclectic brick one-part-block built in 1905. Other non-residential buildings from this era are the two-story Sandy Coop Mercantile and Manufacturing Company Block (NR 8/28/92) built of brick in 1889 on 8744 South 150 East. It has a brick dentil corbelled cornice with a central door flanked by tall double-hung windows and three corresponding windows on the second story facade. The first floor was used for various retail operations while the second floor was traditionally used as a social hall. The building now houses a local history museum. The brick LDS Tithing Office (NR 1/25/1985) was a standard plan developed by the LDS church centrally in Salt Lake City and built in Mormon towns throughout Utah. The Sandy example was constructed in 1906 at 8844 South 280 East and is now used as a residence.
Small Town: Agriculture and Local Businesses: 1907-1957
Many small businesses built structures in this period. The Sandy City Bank (NR 7/9/1997) at 212 E. Main Street (8720 South) constructed its brick single story Second Renaissance Revival corner building in 1907. The brick stucco-covered one-part block, historically known as Anderson's Meat Market, at 115 E. Main Street (8720 South) has an angled recessed corner entrance, large display windows on both facades, and a stepped parapet. The Sandy Post Office at the corner of Main and Center Streets (123-9 E. Main Street) is a brick one-part block with sign panels, a stepped parapet roof visible on the sides and large plate glass display windows.
An interesting example of a Foursquare or Box house is the William D. Kuhre House (NR 7/6/1987) at 8586 South 150 East. It was built in 1890 as a brick Victorian farmhouse and remodeled in 1910 with the then fashionable Prairie School style elements like a full-width front porch, stucco added to the second-story walls, and a hipped roof with wide eaves and exposed, decorative rafter tails. A simple single-story Foursquare, wrapped in vinyl siding, can be seen at 8888 S. 280 East.
Bungalows were the most popular house form in Utah in the first quarter of the twentieth century, and Sandy reflects the styling trends in the state with 55 examples of Bungalows in the Sandy Historic District. The characteristic rectangular footprint vernacular Prairie School-style Bungalows usually have a low-pitched hipped roof with wide eaves and a full-width front porch under the main roofline. The frame vernacular Prairie School Bungalow c.1915 with dormers at 8891-3 South 120 East is unusual both in that it is a duplex and does not have a front porch. Another Prairie School design clad in brick and rock-faced concrete block has a partial-width front porch on the corner at 8879 S. 120 East. The Anne P. Marriott House (NR 11/6/2000) is a brick Craftsman Bungalow with exposed shaped rafter tails, hipped roof and front-facing dormer with smooth columns supporting its full-width front porch at 8543 S. 100 East.
There are 19 Period Revival cottages in the Sandy Historic District. They are mostly of brick with irregular, picturesque massing and steep front-facing cross gables with asymmetric facades. Period Revival styles are found in Utah from 1890 to 1940 with the greatest number of residential examples built between the wars. The classic steep front-facing cross gable of the English Cottage style period cottage emphasizes the front door in the stucco example at 8931 South 40 East. The Golden Stephen and Helen M. Baxter House at 8661 South State Street is a transitional form between an English Cottage style period cottage and a boxier WW II cottage, built c.1939 with three medium-pitch front-facing gables and asymmetric/cross-wing form.
The World War II and post war years of the 1940s and 1950s saw the construction of World War II-era cottages and early Ranch houses in Sandy. There are 120 houses in the Sandy Historic District from this era. Minimal traditional styling common in WW II cottages is loosely based on the earlier Period Revival form with its front-facing cross gable and simpler styling elements and was popular in Utah from the late 1930s through the 1950s. It is the dominant style in the Sandy Historic District and is seen on 76 of the houses. The prominent front gable and medium roof pitch with close eaves of the type is prominent in the typical brick WW II-era cottage at 71 East 8640 South. Horizontal siding is visible in the gable ends both of the house and the matching detached garage set to the rear. Asbestos shingles cover the wall surfaces of the minimal traditional World War II cottage at 520 E. 8800 South.
Ranch/Rambler houses became the dominant house type in the nation as well as Sandy in the 1950s and 1960s. Low pitched roofs, gabled or hipped, predominated, and the broad side of the house faced the street, often with an attached garage. A side-gabled brick early Ranch house displays the fixed picture window and wide chimney at 8832 S. 40 East. The side-gabled brick early Ranch duplex at 8810 S. 280 East has matching entrance porches and picture windows. A hip-roofed example at 465 E. 8800 South has a broad chimney, brick walls and multiple windows on the facade. The cross-gabled illustration has a three-sided bay on the facade with the cross-gabled section serving as a portico with openwork metal supports. It is located at 562 E. 8800 South.
Basement or "hope" houses were built with the expectation that when times were better and more money and time were available, the first floor would be finished and the family would move upstairs. The better times didn't always arrive and some examples can still be seen. A street level door sheltered by a shallow gabled portico leads down steep stairs to the living area at the vinyl-sided front-gabled example at 70 East 8840 South. The Ranch house at 425 East 8680 South was constructed in 1947 as a basement house. It was completed above ground by a double car garage in 1950 and a Ranch house in 1953. The concrete block basement house at 8585 South 60 East has a very shallow almost Mansard-style roof and a shed-roofed entrance porch set in a wooded lot full of mature trees.
Flat or barely sloping roofs are a characteristic of Modern or Contemporary styles that appeared nationally from c.1940-80 and are found in the Sandy Historic District area as well. The flat roofed variant is also called American International and is seen in two multi-family dwellings in Sandy. The four-plex has picture windows flanked by metal-sash casements and projecting eaves at 43 E. 8800 South. A two-story building with balconies also has projecting eaves at 135 East 8920 South. The extremely low-pitched roof at the single-family house at 608 E. 8800 South has overhanging eaves with projecting roof beams and appears to be a modern incarnation of a Craftsman style. A side-gabled duplex version of the style is located at 139-141 E. 8640 South.
Institutional buildings from this era include two LDS Church structures, a chapel and a recreation hall, as well as two schools. The city halls that were built in this period have been demolished. Neoclassical styling was popular in Utah from 1900 to 1925 and Greek and Roman classical motifs are seen in churches and other institutional buildings throughout Utah. The dark red brick LDS Second Ward Chapel (NR 7/9/1997) at 8630 South 60 East was built in 1921 with a diagonal corner entrance emphasized by four Tuscan cast aggregate columns. It has the characteristic raised basement and symmetrical facade characteristic of the style. The brick bowed-roof Sandy LDS Stake Recreation Hall (NR 11/6/2000) at 295 East 8800 South was built in the early 1930s in a utilitarian modern style using the walls of an earlier brick gable-roofed structure that burned. Although built as a junior high school in 1927, the two-story bow-roofed brick building at 440 E. 8680 South was also previously used as a city hall and today houses the city Parks and Recreation offices. The Wells Fargo Bank building at 8765 S. State Street was built in 1951 of striated brick and cast concrete in the mid-century modern style with a flat roof and smooth wall surfaces. The brick Sandy Elementary School at 8725 South 280 East constructed in 1950 shares the same Modern style elements.
Postwar Growth and Expansion: 1958-2006
Most of the explosive population growth in Sandy has been outside of the historic district area although noncontributing and out-of-period buildings appear throughout the Sandy Historic District. The historic contributing buildings dominate the streetscape. There are 87 substantially altered historic era buildings and 136 that have been built since 1957, or outside of the historical period. An example of a historic non-contributing altered building is the residence at 8631 S. State that has modern replacement windows, new rock and shingle cladding that disguise the c.1925 half-timbered Bungalow. A rectangular block two-story brick and siding office building replaced the historic Marriott Hotel at the corner of Main and 120 East/116 East 8720 South in 2005.
Although there are noncontributing buildings in the district, the majority of buildings retain their integrity and contribute to the historic association and feeling of the area. There are 51 buildings within the Sandy Historic District that have been previously listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Sandy Historic District is significant for the following contexts: "Boom Town: Mining and Smelting: c.1875-1906," and "Small Town: Agriculture and Local Businesses, 1907-1957." The period of significance spans c.1875-1957; however, a third context, "Postwar Growth and Expansion: 1958-2006" is also provided, which is outside of the period of significance. The Sandy Historic District is significant for its association with the Multiple Property Submission contexts: "Mining, Smelting and Small Farm Era, 1871-1910;" and "Specialized Agriculture, Small Business and Community Development, 1906-46" of the National Register multiple property submission Historic Resources of Sandy City. Because this was the original section of Sandy, the contexts of the historic district closely mirror those of the multiple property submission. The district is significant because it comprises the original core of the city. The Sandy Historic District comprises the area initially laid out in 1873 as the town of Sandy, known as the "original square mile." The history and early development of Sandy City was directly related to economic and social activities that occurred largely outside of the boundaries of Sandy City. Located twelve miles south of Salt Lake City, Sandy is at the crossroads of several mining districts, Bingham Canyon to the west, and the Big and Little Cottonwood canyons to the east. Sandy's early history and economic development reflected the fortunes of the mining operations. Agriculture, primarily small farms, also existed in the city and, after the closing of the mines and the moving or closing of the smelters, agriculture enabled the city to survive into the twentieth century as Sandy transformed itself from a small mining-dependent town into a large suburban community at the southeast end of the Salt Lake Valley. The buildings of the Sandy Historic District are significant because they are the best concentration of historic buildings and depict the historical development of the city. The collection of buildings provides a good cross section of the architectural styles and types throughout the contextual periods. The concentration of the variety of resources of the historical plat clearly stands out in this now large city (much of the current geographic city boundary of Sandy is a result of post-1960 annexation of surrounding land). The historic district is a contributing resource to the city of Sandy.
Boom Town: Mining and Smelting: c.1875-1906
There was little settlement or civic activity in the Sandy area before the opening of the mines in the Little Cottonwood and Bingham Canyons in the late 1860s. Railroad access providing transportation for ore from the mines to smelters and sampling mills was a key to the growth of Sandy in this time period. In 1871 the Utah Southern Railroad was extended to Sandy providing a direct rail link to Salt Lake City. Due to its central location, a railroad station with rail connections to the mines of Bingham Canyon on the west and the mines of Little Cottonwood Canyon on the east was dedicated in 1873. At that time in a survey of the 160-acre Sandy town site, the town had 60 buildings with a population of 250. The success of the mines in the 1870s and the allied operations of smelting and sampling provided industrial jobs for many in Sandy. A service economy grew up to supply the mines as well as providing housing and entertainment for the workers.
There were three major smelters and three sampling mills established in Sandy in the 1870s and 1880s, making it a regional center for dealing with ore from the mines in the surrounding canyons. The Flagstaff smelter (440 E. 8680 South, demolished) and the Mingo (or Mountain Chief) opened in 1873 (demolished) and the adjoining Saturn in 1872 (demolished). Hans N. Bjork came to Sandy from Sweden with his two brothers and found a job in the Mingo Smelter. Later he opened Swede's Saloon with his friend Ole Nelson at 115 E. Main Street in a brick one-part block with a false front and diagonal entrance. Hans' wife, Anna, was also a native Swede and they built their frame house at 45 E. 8680 South in 1900. By 1921 Bjork was active in civic affairs and serving on the Sandy City Council.
The Pioneer Sampling Mill (demolished) was located at approximately 8580-8680 South 150 East and built in 1874. One of its early managers, Arthur J. Gushing, moved to Sandy in 1880 with his wife, Ellen Major. He was a graduate of Cambridge University, the first mayor of Sandy, and lived at 123 E. Pioneer Avenue (East 8530 South) in a two-story brick and shingled Victorian Eclectic central block with projecting bay house that he built in 1893. A foreman at the Pioneer Sampling Mill, William Vincent, also lived nearby with his wife, Amorillis, and family at 92 E. Pioneer Avenue in a brick Victorian Eclectic with a prominent corner tower. Vincent also owned a saloon at the corner of State and Main Streets. The other two Sandy sampling mills were the Wasatch (demolished) and the Scott and Anderson (demolished) at 198 East 8760 South.
By 1880 the population of Sandy was 488, almost doubling from the 1873 figures but presumably less than the boom in the mid-1870s. By 1900 it had increased to 1,632. Unlike other communities in Utah at the time that were predominantly Mormon, the population of Sandy included people of other, non-LDS religions. A frame Classical style Congregational Church (8831 South 220 East) was built c.1895 (demolished). The Mormons in Sandy tended to be connected with small family farms and businesses. The non-Mormons (or gentiles as they were known locally) were drawn to Sandy to work with aspects of the mining industry. The first community school was established in 1881 and the first LDS ward in 1882-3.
By the 1890s the mines were beginning to fail and the end of that era changed the character and population of Sandy. The Mingo smelter closed in 1890 and its equipment was sold to the Germania smelter in Murray, two miles to the north. The period ended with the moving of the Bingham Canyon smelting operations to Garfield, near the Great Salt Lake, in 1906. Many of the non-Mormon population of miners and smelter workers left with the decline in the mining industry. As an example of the change in the composition of the town, by 1900 there were only four saloons left of the earlier seventeen establishments. As the mining and smelting operations failed or moved to other towns, small farms sustained Sandy.
Small Town: Agriculture and Local Businesses: 1907-1957
The Sandy economy diversified from its previous mining economy to that of agriculture and small businesses. The total population of Sandy changed very little between the censuses of 1900 and 1950, growing only from 1,632 to 2,095. During the 1950s the population swelled, bringing the total to 3,322 in 1960. Sugar beet and poultry production grew as well as the businesses that supported them. Local businesses turned to construction with brick, rather than frame, and a number of examples of the early brick commercial buildings are still extant. The Bateman Agriculture & Development Company built a brick early twentieth century commercial one-part block in 1910 at 198 East 8760 South (NR 8/8/96) to house its specialty store, on the site of the former Scott and Anderson Sampling Mill. Iconic photos of the store show George Bateman, paralyzed in a coal wagon accident in 1911, in his wheelchair outside the store. He was the son of the founder and managed the business, living with his family behind the store, until his death in 1938.
Many residents combined agriculture and commerce, initially living on agricultural land and later moving to town. William W. Wilson, mayor of Sandy from 1912 to 1922, moved to Sandy in 1877 and had farm land to the east. He and his Swedish wife, Anna Ostlund, built their frame (now stucco) house in 1907 at 145 E. 8680 South. He served as vice-president and later president of the Sandy City Bank that was built the same year at the corner at 212 E. Main Street (NR 7/9/1997). The bank served businesses across the south end of the valley and showed the role of Sandy as a business center. In 1927 Wilson, after the death of Anna, built a striated brick Prairie School Bungalow for his second wife, Christine, down the street at 113. E. 8680 South.
The mining industry continued to influence the population of Sandy, though providing jobs in smelters outside of Sandy for Sandy natives, rather than attracting immigrant workers. George Hansen was born here and worked as a smelterman and runner. He purchased the modest 1903 frame half-crosswing at 93 East 8880 South in 1910 and lived there with his wife, Dora Goff, and family until 1919 when he sold to another smelterman, Rowland Hardcastle, also a native of Sandy. Florence Marriott Raddon was born in Sandy in 1882 and married Lafayette Raddon who worked in the grocery and confectionery business as well as a watchman for the U.S. Smelting & Refining Company. The Raddons moved a side-gabled one-story frame vernacular Arts & Crafts Bungalow built c.1905 to a site at 110 E. Main Street in the 1930s, replacing an earlier structure on the site.
Civic improvements helped create a community feeling for the city. The first Salt Lake City streetcar line was extended from Murray to Sandy in 1907, giving quick access to the capital city. The streetcar track came south along State Street and traveled east along Main Street. Lighting of public spaces grew as in 1913 Utah Power and Light installed over 100 streetlights. The Sandy City Post Office was brick one-part-block at 123 East Main Street built c.1914. Typical of early twentieth century commercial one-part blocks, it has a stepped parapet visible on the side walls and recessed sign panels on the facade.
The growth of the LDS population can be seen in the construction of various church-related buildings for their use: a tithing office, a ward house and a recreation hall. The Sandy Tithing Office (NR 1/25/1985) at 8845 South 280 East was built in 1907 to store in-kind donations to the church. The first LDS ward house was built of frame in the 1880s on the corner of 200 South and 400 East — historic addresses (demolished). The second brick Victorian Gothic structure was completed in 1900 and demolished in 1998. The Neoclassical brick LDS Sandy Second Ward Chapel (NR 7/9/1997) at 8630 South 60 East was designed by Joseph Don Carlos Young, the official LDS church architect at the time and built in 1921. It became a Baptist church in 1962 and continues in that use today. The first Sandy LDS Stake Recreation Hall was built of frame in 1907 and subsequently burned ten years later. A second structure of brick was built on the same site in 1920 and didn't burn until the early 1930s. Destruction by the fire wasn't complete, however, and the still-standing walls were used to build the current structure (NR 11/6/2000) c.1933 at 295 East 8800 South.
Post War Growth and Expansion: 1958-2006
The era began with a post-war housing shortage in the Salt Lake valley and is not included within the period of significance. Sandy City responded to the shortage with growth both in total population and geographic size of the city. The physical size of the city stayed roughly the same from 1917 to 1960. Beginning in 1960 Sandy annexed ten thousand acres and platted agricultural and undeveloped land for almost 300 subdivisions. This, combined with strong internal growth, led to a population increase in the city to 88,418 by year 2000. This development is outside of the historic core area of Sandy, primarily to the south and east. The Sandy City hall and associated municipal offices moved south to new city buildings along 10000 South in the mid-1990s.
The Salt Lake Valley light rail system, TRAX, extends along a previous Union Pacific railway corridor that crosses the Sandy Historic District. The 9000 South Historic Sandy Station and allied Park and Ride lot with parking for 316 cars are located at 9000 South 165 East. It was built in 1999 and extends from the Delta Center in Salt Lake City to the Sandy Civic Center at 10000 South.
The Sandy Historic District is an important historic resource because it physically represents the history and development of the city of Sandy, Utah. It is locally significant as a reflection of the architecture and historic progression of the city from its early days as a mining boom town through its agricultural era and recent growth to become one of the largest suburban cities in Utah. The residential, commercial and institutional buildings within the Sandy Historic District represent the styles and types popular in the state of Utah between c.1875 and 1957.
Architectural survey data for Sandy from the Utah History Computer System (UHCS) files at the Utah State Historic Preservation Office. Reports of National Register and ILS buildings.
Arrington, Leonard J. Great Basin Kingdom: Economic History of the Latter-Day Saints, 1830-1900. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1958.
Balle, Wayne L. Multiple Property National Register Nomination: Historic Resources of Sandy City, 1990. On file at Utah State Historic Preservation Office.
Bradley, Martha Sonntag. Sandy City: The First 100 Years. Sandy, UT: Sandy City Corporation, 1993.
Broschinsky, Korral. Multiple Property National Register Nomination: Historic Resources of Sandy City, 1997. On file at Utah State Historic Preservation Office.
Carter, Thomas and Goss, Peter. Utah's Historic Architecture, 1847-1940: a Guide. Salt Lake City, Utah: University of Utah Graduate School of Architecture and Utah State Historical Society, 1991.
Daughters of Utah Pioneers of Salt Lake County Company, comp. & pub. Tales of a Triumphant People; A History of Salt Lake County, Utah 1847-1900. 1995 Reprint. Salt Lake City: Stevens & Wallis Press, 1947.
McAlester, Virginia and Lee. A Field Guide to American Houses. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1998.
National Register Bulletin 15: How to Apply the National Register Criteria for Evaluation. Washington, D.C.: National Register of Historic Places, Interagency Division, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, 1990, rev. 1991.
Sandy City Historic Walking Tour. April, 1991.
Sandy Historic Museum. Walking Tour of Historic Sandy; Historic Sites and Other Points of Interest. Second edition. 1997.
Sillitoe, Linda. A History of Salt Lake County. Salt Lake City: Utah State Historical Society, Salt Lake County Commission, 1996.
Workers of the Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration for the State of Utah. Utah: A Guide to the State. American Guide Series. New York: Hastings House, 1941.
† Beatrice Lufkin, Sandy Historic District, Sandy, Salt Lake County, UT, nomination document, 2006, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.