Anne P Marriott House
The Thomas and Anne P. Marriott House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [†] Adaptation copyright © 2011, The Gombach Group.
The Thomas and Anne P. Marriott House, located at 8543 South 100 East, Sandy, Utah, is a one-story Craftsman Bungalow with a full-width front porch and hipped roof with wide, overhanging eaves. The foundation is concrete block; the walls, chimneys and porch piers are built of regular red brick, and the windows have cast concrete sills. The Anne P. Marriott House is located in the historic core of Sandy City where the narrow streets and small-scale homes offer a distinct and cohesive character to the neighborhood. The house is located on a corner; the facade faces west onto 100 East Street; the north elevation is parallel to Pioneer Avenue (8530 South). Behind, or east of the house, is a two-car garage; access to the garage is from a driveway that runs south off of Pioneer Avenue. There is a small, wood frame rental house located approximately twelve feet south of the house. The two buildings have similar decorative features. Both homes are in fair condition; they have had little to no alteration since their construction.
Built in 1910, this Craftsman-style Bungalow has a single story elevated above a full basement. The Anne P. Marriott House has changed very little since the 1938 tax assessment photo. The full-width front porch wraps around to the north elevation. Supporting the roof are classical, round wood columns that sustain a wooden entablature; the porch railing is wood with supports placed unusually far apart. The house has a low, hipped roof with wide overhanging eaves. The underside of the eaves on the north, west and south elevations have decorative rafter tails. A small dormer with a hipped roof is centered on the facade; the underside of the dormer's eaves also has decorative rafter tails. The two small windows in the dormer have leaded glass in a geometric pattern. This pattern is also seen in the transom above the front door; on each side of the front door are tall narrow sidelights. To the right of the front door is a large fixed-pane window with a plain glass transom above; on each side are double-hung one-over-one wood windows.
On the north elevation there is a wood-frame bay window. The finish material is vertically oriented bead board. The center window of the bay has a fixed pane with a transom above; on each side are double-hung one-over-one wood windows. The window appears to be lacking in structure, as there are two wood supports below it helping to hold it up. The 1938 tax assessment card indicates this feature is an oriel, a bay with windows cantilevered or corbelled from the wall surface above the ground. Directly above the oriel is a small dormer identical to the one on the facade. On the north elevation of the wrap-around porch there is a small diamond shaped, decorative window with colored glass.
On the rear, or east elevation, there is a sixty-six square foot wood frame addition located outside the kitchen door. Originally a screened porch, the addition has since been enclosed with glass. The tax assessment card indicates the screen porch was built prior to 1938. The exterior walls of the addition are wood shiplap; its shed roof has a wide eave, the underside of which has decorative rafter tails. There are two doors into the addition; the one on the right side is used to access the main level, and the one on the left side to access the basement. The two electric meters, as well as the second mailbox by the basement door, indicate the house has been used as a duplex. The sole window on this elevation is located directly in the center; on the other side of the double-hung one-over-one wood window is the bathroom.
On the south elevation there are two one-over-one, double-hung windows, which provide one window for each of the two bedrooms. On each side of the living room fireplace chimney are matching small, square awning windows, a trademark of the Bungalow.
Built in 1910, the Anne Paramore Marriott House is as part of the multiple property nomination Historic Resources of Sandy City. The house is significant for its association with the Specialized Agriculture, Small Business, and Community Development Period in the history of Sandy City. The Bungalow represents a level of prosperity, despite economic uncertainty, which allowed many middle-class residents to purchase their own homes. The Thomas and Anne P. Marriott House is significant as a well-preserved example of the Bungalow: an important house type common in Utah between 1906 and 1930. The Bungalow residence in Sandy represents the spread of popular urban styles to rural Utah towns. The Anne P. Marriott House retains a high degree of historic integrity and is a contributing historic resource of Sandy City.
Located twelve miles south of Salt Lake City, Sandy City was founded in the 1850's as a farming settlement. The majority of these early farmers were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church or Mormon Church) who were encouraged by their church leaders to pursue agricultural activities and establish self-sufficiency. When work on the Salt Lake LDS Temple began in 1852, Sandy became an essential way station as the granite for the building was cut from Little Cottonwood Canyon, located just east of Sandy. During the 1860s and 1870s settlers came to Sandy with the promise of easy land grants in the less crowded south valley. In 1863 precious metals were discovered in the canyons located just east of town, and the early history and development of Sandy parallels the history of the mining industry. The farming town soon changed to suit the clientele; hotels, saloons and brothels dominated Main Street. Sandy became an important diversified hub for farming, granite cutting, mining and smelting. In 1873 LDS church leader Brigham Young christened the town "Sandy" for its thirsty soil.
The first major period of development in Sandy is known as the Mining, Smelting and Small Farm Era, 1871-c.1910. In 1871 a 160-acre town site was platted; a number of sampling mills and smelters were built and Sandy became a strategic shipping point. While the dominant economic force during the 1870s through the 1890s was mining, a local agricultural community also developed. New business enterprises arose to support the local agricultural community, new schools were built, and in 1893 the city was incorporated. By 1930 production in the mines had ceased; without the presence of miners, Sandy City began to clean up the saloons and brothels, and concentrate on civic improvements.
The Specialized Agriculture, Small Business, and Community Development Period, 1906-1946 is the second period of development in Sandy. The mining, smelting and small farm era was gradually replaced by a more diversified economy. The population of Sandy remained at approximately 1,500 between 1900 and 1940. During this time the city was defining itself as the political, economic, civic and social center for the southeast Salt Lake Valley. This second period of Sandy's history laid the groundwork for the city's eventual transformation from small town to suburb.
One of the earliest signs of community development was the creation of subdivisions from large farm parcels. During the first four decades of the twentieth century the majority of Sandy residents continued to live on farms. Most of these residents survived economically by combining subsistence farming with other occupations, primarily cottage industries and mercantilism; other farmers created large specialized agricultural enterprises such as sugar beet, poultry and dairy farms. Sandy residents also continued to work in the mining and smelter industries in nearby communities even after the smelters in Sandy closed down.
The core of the initial settlement in Sandy has several unique characteristics. The width of the residential streets are significantly smaller than most Utah towns laid out with the requisite ten acre blocks as directed by LDS Church leader Joseph Smith. The residences are primarily one-story residences with modest floor plans. The Anne P. Marriott House is located in the square mile core of historic Sandy where the combination of small-scale homes and narrow streets lend a distinctive quality to the neighborhood.
Community Development & Social History
By 1863, there were only four homes in the southeast area of the Salt Lake Valley. On May 19, 1876, Andrew Hansen received a homestead patent from the United States of America for the entire Southwest 1/4 of Section 31. Andrew Hansen joined the LDS Church in his homeland of Denmark; in 1872 he immigrated to Utah with his grandfather. In 1890, his mother Karen and his four brothers came to Utah; the family settled "in and around the Murray-Midvale area", they soon established a small farm.
Thomas Edward Marriott was born to Henry Marriott and Ester Spencer on November 30, 1842, in Nottingham, England. Thomas came to America as a young man; he worked as a blacksmith and farmer in Salt Lake City. Anne Paramore was born to George Paramore and Rose Hannah Clark on October 16, 1849 in Mansfield, Woodhouse, England. At the age of eight she and her parents became members of the Mormon Church. When Anne was thirteen her mother passed away, and she went to live in Nottingham. Shortly after, she joined with a group of Mormons who were about to immigrate to Utah; she was the only member of her family to do so. In April 1864, the group sailed from Liverpool; they arrived in the U.S. six weeks later and began the journey west to Utah. On arriving in Salt Lake City, Anne lived with several families and friends. When another group of emigrants arrived from England, Anne met two brothers by the name of Marriott, and went to live with the Marriott family for a time.
On February 27, 1865, Anne married Thomas Edward Marriott; they built and lived in a dugout in the "Jordan Bottoms" area of Salt Lake Valley. Their first child Rosehannah was born in January 1866; others who followed include Henry George, Thomas Edward, Annie Elizabeth, Samuel, Albert, Florence, Maud, Annie Laurie, Roscoe Raymond and Zella lone. In the spring of 1875, the family moved to Sandy; they built their home on 100 West between Main Street and 100 North where they opened a general store. In 1881, Thomas and Anne purchased the former Hatch Boarding House located on Main Street and 100 West. Here, Thomas established Sandy's first regular hotel, it was known as the Marriott House or Marriott Hotel. The building was a two-story wood-frame building with eight sleeping rooms on the second level, which were rented to miners on their way to Alta in Little Cottonwood Canyon. On the ground floor were the family's living quarters, an optician, as well as a confectionery that Thomas managed. Thomas and Anne also managed the first post office in Sandy.
In November 1883 (or 89), Thomas and Ann purchased a home for $500.00 from Thomas Graves. The house was located on East Pioneer Avenue; it was a wood frame, hall-parlor cottage with shiplap siding, a chimney at both ends, and an addition to the rear, which created a T or cross wing. The Marriott's new home was located "east and in the rear of the Clyde Swenson house." The family moved out of their living quarters in the hotel, leasing the apartment to Miss William Stewart. In 1906, Thomas turned over the confectionery to his son-in-law L.L. Raddon; soon after the general store was sold to Mr. Charles C. Crapo. Charles Crapo continued to successfully operate the store for many years under the name "C.C. Crapo & Sons." On the last day of 1907, Thomas deeded the property to Anne, and on January 10, 1908, he passed away.
The address of the Marriott's hall-parlor cottage is not known; all references to the house indicate only that it is located on East Pioneer Avenue. However, the 1911 Sanborn map reveals a T-cottage located on the same lot; just south east of the Marriott bungalow. Although this house does not appear to face Pioneer Avenue, it may have been the Marriott's first cottage. Two years after Thomas' death, Anne's bungalow on the south east corner of Pioneer Avenue and 100 East (historic 200 West), was completed.
The 1911 Sanborn map does not show the investment property located south of the Anne P. Marriott House. In its approximate location is the west end of the T-cottage mentioned above; this cottage must have been demolished prior to the construction of the rental house.
In June 1914, Anne secured a $500.00 mortgage against her property from Mary Tripton; it is likely this money was used to build the investment property. Unfortunately, this amount apparently was not quite enough to finish the job as in May 1920, the Asphalt Shingle Roof Company filed a $218.50 lien against the property and William Hughes and Anne Marriott. William Hughes was married to Anne's daughter (Annie) Laura. Anne Marriott passed away at the Sandy home of her youngest child, Zella, on November 6, 1929.
In November 1936, the property passed from the estate of Anne P. Marriott to Roscoe Raymond Marriott, et.al.; in April 1940 R.R. and Lillie B. Marriott quit claimed the property to Laura Hughes. Laura was Anne's fifth daughter; her husband was William Hughes. Nine years later an interesting transaction took place when Laura Hughs deeded the property to Fern Parker; that same day Fern Parker deeded the property to "William M. Hughes and his wife Laura." In 1985, the property was sold by Vaughn R. Hughes (William and Laura's son) to Ronald Kenneth Hyatt.
By 1910 many bungalows were under construction in Sandy; the Anne P. Marriott House is a typical example of these. The Craftsman Bungalow style of the house reflects not only the changes in early twentieth-century Utah, but also the development of Sandy City from a small farming and mining community to a more cosmopolitan suburb of Salt Lake City. The bungalow was a popular type of residence throughout Utah in the years prior to World War I; it architecturally represents the end of isolation in early twentieth-century Utah. With the influence of pattern book designs combined with the availability of standardized building components, architectural styles that were popular in more urban areas of the country were finding their way to isolated areas of rural Utah.
The Arts & Crafts style was popular in Utah from 1900 to 1915; the style emerged from Craftsman Magazine (1901-1917), a publication about the Arts & Crafts movement in the United States. Residences designed in the Arts & Crafts style emphasize their wood frame construction; primary design elements include exposed framing members. This describes the Anne P. Marriott House, along with other elements common to the style: wide, overhanging eaves; exposed purlins, decorative rafter tails, wide, open front porch, and dormers with decorative rafter tails. Although there are several bungalows throughout historic Sandy, the Anne P. Marriott House is an excellent example of one with a vernacular Arts & Crafts style that has retained a high degree of historic integrity.
Built in 1910, the Anne Paramore Marriott House is associated with the history and development of Sandy between 1910 and 1950. The original architectural features are still evident. The fenestration patterns as well as the size of the openings have not been modified and there have been no alterations to the residence. The Anne P. Marriott House represents not only the bungalow residence type and widespread influence of the Craftsman style, but also a level of prosperity in the economic development of Sandy City.
Abstract of Title, Salt Lake County Recorder's Office, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Balle, Wayne L. Historic Resources of Sandy City: The Mining, Smelting and Small Farm Era, 1870-c.1910, National Register Multiple Property Nomination, Salt Lake City, 1992.
Bradley, Martha Sonntag. Sandy City: The First 100 Years. Sandy City Corporation, Sandy, Utah, 1993
Broschinsky, Korral. Historic Resources of Sandy City: Specialized Agricultural, Small Business and Community Development, 1906-1946, National Register Multiple Property Nomination, Salt Lake City, 1997
Carter, Thomas & Goss, Peter. Utah's Historic Architecture, 1847-1940. University of Utah & Utah State Historical Society, Salt Lake City, 1988.
Daughters of The Utah Pioneers, Tales of a Triumphant People: A History of Salt Lake County. Utah. DUP, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1947.
Esshom, Frank. Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah. Salt Lake City, 1966.
FamilySearch.com. Web site with genealogy records, compiled by the LDS Church.
Jenson, Andrew. L.D.S. Biographical Encyclopedia. Salt Lake City, 1933.
Haws, David. Intensive Level Survey for Ann P. Marriott House, 1988.
Powell, Allan K. Utah History Encyclopedia. University of Utah Press, Salt Lake City, 1994.
Rich, Roxie N. The History and People of Early Sandy. Bound monograph, Sandy City, 1975.
Salt Lake County Archives, Tax Assessment Cards for 1938 and 1958. Salt Lake City Utah.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps: 1911-- Marriott Library Special Collections, 1911, and 1911 map updated in 1930.
Utah State Historical Society Research Room: Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.
1911/updated 1930, Obituary Index, City Directories, Photo Archives.
† Lisa Miller, Sandy City CLG, Anne P. Marriott House, Sandy, Salt Lake County, UT, nomination document, 2000, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.