banner search whats new site index home

Devon


Beginnings [1]

Made up principally of fine residential homes in Easttown Township, was first settled by Zimmerman Supplee about 1865. Shortly afterwards Coffin & Altemus of Philadelphia, 15 miles away, bought several farms south of the Pennsylvania Railroad for the erection of many houses and Devon Inn, so-called because it was to be the American counterpart of Devon, the tourist resort in England. On May 25, 1883, the villagers received their own post office name of Devon because the one nearest to them, known as Spread Eagle, was located in a railroad signal tower and very inaccessible by the residents.

  1. Pinkowski, Edward. Chester County Place Names,, Sunshine Press, Philadelphia, 1962

School District: Tredyffrin-Easttown

Devon Map

Street Names
Devon State Road • Old Lancaster Road • Waterloo Road South

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 215-295-6555 • 105184 • Privacy