Warminster took its name after the Township and lay in the area of the intersection of York and Street Roads. In the early days it was known as Warminsterboro and, as such, is shown on the Hughes map of 1859, which also shows a store, the tavern, a wheelwright and smith shop. The district known presently as "the Speedway," within the bounds of York Road, Street Road, the Reading Railroad, and County Line, had been partially leveled in 1914 for the purpose of building an automobile race track - probably among the first so conceived.
Source: The First 275 Years, Warminster Township 1711-1986, Paul C. Baily.
Village in central northwestern Warminster Township at the intersection of Old York Rd and Street Rd. The Warminster Post Office was established June 18, 1855, with William Glasgow as postmaster. At different periods for more than a century and a quarter this village was a horse racing center. The first track was laid out for a half mile on Street Road. Here races and militia trainings were held for many years. Thomas Beans, a famous horseman, was once manager of this track. Later the track was established on a level piece of private land. The Warminster Driving Club maintained these grounds in recent times. The old tavern, opened in 1730, was a noted house of entertainment under many landlords.
Source: Place Names in Bucks County, George MacReynolds.
School District: Centennial