Home on Maple St Sold By
Keller Williams Real Estate-Newtown
Listing Agent: Robert Misner
Speedway is a residential subdivision of detached, single family homes built primarily during the 1940s and 1950s.
Lot sizes range form 0.15 to more than 0.75 acres with a median of approximately 0.25 acres. Interior living space ranges from less than 1,000 to more than 2,000 sq. ft. with a median of approximately 1,350 sq. ft.
The development is bounded by Street Rd and County Line Rd on the north and south, and Madison and Evergreen Avenues on the east and west.
Text, below, is an excerpt from The First 275 Years, Warminster Township 1711-1986 by Paul C. Baily.
The district known presently as "the Speedway," within the bounds of York Road, Street Road, the Reading Railroad, and County Line, had been partially leveled in 1914 for the purpose of building an automobile race track - probably among the first so conceived.
"The Speedway" has an interesting history. It was originally farmland being part of the Noble grant. Because of its more or less level grade, it was ideally situated for a race track. Races, in Warminster, were nothing new; in 1825, Thomas Beans laid out a beautiful one-half mile circular race track on his property behind the Warminster Hotel. Later, there was a trotting track on Street Road, between the present Madison Avenue and York Road. These were purely a community interest for sport's sake only, and after several serious accidents, they were abandoned by popular consent. The wide, level area, however, continued to haunt sports enthusiasts for years and in 1914 a corporation was formed to build a combined automobile and horse racing tract. Sidings were to be run in from the railroad right of way and accommodations for thousands of sports enthusiasts were sought. A great amount of grading was done and, until recently, the results of that grading were still evident in great mounds of earth here and there about the area. The last of these, on the north side of Olive St. between Sunnemeade and Evergreen Avenues, was removed just recently (1985).
School District: Centennial