banner search whats new site index home

Tinicum


For many years Tinicum was known as Wormansville, so called from a numerous and prominent family of that name. In 1850 three Worman families lived in the village, one of them owning the village store. A post office was established in September, 1891, with W.H. Wolfinger as the first postmaster. The handsome gothic edifice of Christ's Evangelical Lutheran Church, built in 1908, and the Lutheran parsonage, erected in 1917, occupy sites on the south side of Smithtown Road. This congregation was organized about 1760 and jointly with the Reformed congregation, owned and occupied the Union Church near the village on Dark Hollow Road until July 3, 1907. On that day Union Church, a fine brick structure with a steeple 160 feet high, was wrecked and the spire entirely destroyed by fire, presumed to have resulted from a bolt of lightning which struck the steeple during a storm late on the evening before. After the fire the Reformed congregation purchased the Lutherans' interest in the property and rebuilt the church, while the Lutherans built a church on the present site on four acres of ground bought from Mrs. Hannah Stover. The burned church was popularly known as Lower Tinicum Church to distinguish it from Upper TInicum Church near Uhlerstown in the northeastern part of the township. [1]

  1. Macreynolds, George, Place Names in Bucks County, Doylestown, Bucks County Historical Society, Doylestown PA, 1942.

School District: Palisades

Tinicum Map

Street Names
Dark Hollow Road East • Smithtown Road • Wormansville Road

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 215-295-6555 • 101053 • Privacy