East Rochester Village
East Rochester Village/Town Hall is located at 120 West Commercial Street, East Rochester, NY 14445; Phone: 585-586-3553. The town and village of East Rochester are co-terminous as of 1982. The village was incorporated in 1906.
The area of the present village of East Rochester (originally called Despatch because of its proximity to the railroad), which is about 3 miles southeast of the city limits of Rochester, was primarily farmland for most of the 19th century. The presence of the New York Central Railroad and the Irondequoit Creek made it a prime development choice for Rochester's expanding industries. The Merchants Dispatch Transportation Company, which manufactured railroad cars, located here in the 1890s, followed by the Foster-Armstrong Piano Company.