Perinton Town Hall is located at 1350 Turk Hill Road, Fairport NY 14450; phone: 585-223-0770.
Beginnings[ 1 ]
One hundred years after the first Europeans entered the Irondequoit Valley, Oliver Phelps and Nathaniel Gorham purchased a large tract of land from Massachusetts and the Native Americans in 1788. William Walker purchased Township 12, Range 4, what is now Perinton, and in 1789 Caleb Walker and Glover Perrin constructed a cabin, on Ayrault Road just west of Moseley Road, approximately two miles south of present day Fairport. From approximately 1789-1792, Glover and Jesse Perrin and their families were thought to be the first permanent non-native inhabitants of Perinton, settling west of what is now the Hamlet of Egypt. In 1796, the Town of Northfield was established, which was renamed Boyle and included all lands east of the Genesee River from Henrietta to Webster. In 1812, Perinton split from Boyle and has remained essentially in its current form since that time, making it one of the longest established and intact communities on Monroe County's east side.
The first Town meeting was held in the Hamlet of Egypt which grew rapidly to become a central node for activity, commerce and politics in early Perinton. The development of the Erie Canal in 1821 gave rise to the Village of Fairport and Hartwell's (Bushnell's) Basin, and these areas quickly overtook Egypt as community centers. In 1853, the railroad arrived and solidified Fairport (officially incorporated in 1867) as the hub of activity in Perinton and a major destination in western New York. The rise of Fairport and wealth generated during its growth and prosperity had radiated outward to benefit those living outside the village. Fairport became a central market place for goods grown and produced within the Town, and the canal and railroad provided a broad reach to large markets such as New York City and Buffalo.