The Ritchie County Courthouse is located at 115 East Main Street, Harrisville, WV 26362; phone: 304-643-2164.
More than a quarter of a century had passed away after the discovery of Ritchie County before the coming of the first settlers. The first cabin within the boundary of the present Ritchie County was built by John Bunnell, early in 1800 on the site of what is now the City of Pennsboro. Mr. Bunnell sold his possessions here to John Webster of New England, who, early in the 19th century, built a stone house at the western end of Pennsboro. It became the property of James Martin in 1815. Soon after Bunnell, George Husher settled here. In the Spring of 1803 Lawrence Maley built a cabin one mile east of what is now Harrisville. He in turn was followed by brothers George and Joseph Stuart, about 1805 as well as Joseph Wilkinson, son-in-law of Joseph Stuart.