The Morgan County Courthouse is located at 77 Fairfax Street, Berkeley Springs, WV 25411; phone: 304-258-8547.
The natural phenomenon of the mineral spring was sufficient to generate the rise of a town, which in turn drew sufficient population to the area to warrant the establishment of another county in Virginia's west. Plagued by difficult geography that made travel to the neighboring county seats of Martinsburg or Romney difficult, the growing population of the Berkeley Springs area followed the rising trend in western Virginia and petitioned for a separate county. Morgan County was created in 1820 from portions of Hampshire and Berkeley counties, the last of a series of partitions that began in 1634 with a division of Charles City County. Some thirteen different Virginia counties at one time claimed the territory that is now Morgan County. It was named for Revolutionary War General Daniel Morgan. [1736-1802]. †
† Alan Rowe and Erin Riebe, West Virginia State Historic Preservation Office with Barbara E. Rasmussen, Historic Preservation and Research, Morgan County Courthouse, Morgan County, WV, nomination document, 2003, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.