The Bassett Neighborhood [‡], geographically located in the southwest quadrant on the Capitol Square, is defined by a variety of residential, commercial, institutional, industrial, recreational and transportation land uses.
The Bassett Neighborhood is one of the oldest Isthmus residential neighborhoods, dating back in the mid 1850's. The neighborhood was first settled by a mix of Yankee and German settlers. A group of Irish immigrants soon arrived, many to help build the Milwaukee Road railroad tracks and depot in what is now the City Station area. After railroad service arrived in 1854, many Irish families remained in the area to work for the railroad and more immigrants arrived. Railroad activity also spurred the development of commercial warehouses in the City Station area. In the late 19th and early 20th century, many of the two and three unit residences in the area were built to house workers in Madison's other burgeoning industries, government and the university.
Neighborhood Relationship to Downtown
‡ City Vision Associates, Schreiber/Andeson Associates, Vandewall Associates and Bert Stitt Associates, for the Bassett Task Force and City of Madison, Recommendations and Implementation Priorities for Downtown, Madison Wisconsin, 1997, www.cityofmadison.com, accessed December, 2015.
Bassett Street North • Bassett Street South • Bedford Street North • Bedford Street South • Brittingham Place South • Broom Street North • Broom Street South • Carroll Street North • Carroll Street South • Clark Court • Doty Street East • Doty Street West • Fairchild Street North • Fairchild Street South • Feeney Court • Findorff Court • Hamilton Street South • Henry Street North • Henry Street South • John Nolen Drive • Lorillard Court • Main Street East • Main Street West • Mifflin Street East • Mifflin Street West • Pinckney Street North • Pinckney Street South • Proudfit Street • Rodney Court • Shore Drive North • Washington Avenue West • Washington Place • Wilson Street East • Wilson Street West