Photo: Dr. J. T. Tenny House, ca. 1982, 305 North Second Street, Alma, WI. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. Photographed by user: Travelerlee, 2014, (own work) [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed November, 2014.
The Buffalo County Courthouse is located at 407 South 2nd Street, Alma, WI 54610; phone: 608-685-6206.
White settlement of the Buffalo County area began ca. 1839 by many German, Swiss and Norwegian homesteaders. What would become the county seat (Alma) was established in 1848. At that time it was known as 12-Mile Bluff. The county was created in 1853 from part of Trempealeau County.