Lancaster Courthouse is the unincorporated county seat settlement for Lancaster County. It is located at the intersection of Courthouse Road (Route 6000) and Mary Ball Road (Route 3) Lancaster, VA 22503.
The Lancaster Court House Historic District on Virginia's Northern Neck preserves the quintessential character of the rural Virginia courthouse village. The focal point of the district is Lancaster County's comprising late antebellum courthouse, which, with its 1937 portico and remodeling, recalls the Roman Revival courthouse designs of Thomas Jefferson. The courthouse complex includes the former jail and old clerk's office, both rare mid 18th-century survivors, and an 1872 Confederate memorial believed to be the first such monument in Virginia. A circa 1800 tavern, a mid 19th-century post office, Carpenter-Gothic church, turn-of-the-century store, and numerous detached mid 19th to early 20th-century dwellings complete the linear village. Virtually free of modern intrusions, the district maintains a visually appealing harmony of scale, color, texture, and materials, all within a larger agrarian setting. The county archives preserve a remarkably complete set of records dating from the formation of Lancaster County in 1651.