Photo: Alice Ghormley Curtis House, ca. 1907, 1616 South Washington Street, Amarillo, TX. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. Photographed by user:BriceWi999 (own work), 2014, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed June, 2016.
The Potter County Courthouse is located at 500 South Fillmore Street, Amarillo, TX 79101; phone: 806-379-2246.
Organized in 1876, Potter County remained uninhabited until H.B. Sanborn and Joseph Glidden established the Frying Pan Ranch on 1/4-million acres. The county seat (Amarillo, originally known as Oneida) was designated in 1887. The county is named for Robert Potter, a U.S. Navy veteran and attorney who served for a time in the North Carolina legislature. In 1835 Potter fled his North Carolina domestic, legal and political problems and came to Texas where his new beginning soon found him involved in Texas military and political affairs. [Texas State Historical Association, tshaonline.org, accessed November, 2015]