The Kaufman County Courthouse is located at 100 West Mulberry Street, Kaufman, TX 75142; phone: 972-932-4331.
The first settlement in Kaufman County was initiated in 1840 by William P. King and with a party of 40 pioneers from Holly Springs, Mississippi. The county was established in 1848 from Henderson County. It is named for David Spangler Kaufman [1813-1851]. Kaufman served in the Republic of Texas Congress from 1838 to 1846] and as a U. S. Congressman from 1848-1851.