Mesquite City Hall is located at 757 North Galloway Avenue, Mesquite, TX 74149. The Mesquite Municipal Center is located at 1515 North Galloway Avenue, Mesquite, TX 75149. phone: 972‑288‑7711.
Mesquite was platted in May of 1873 by A. R. Alcott, an engineer for the Texas and Pacific Railway. Less than 2 months later the first train rolled through town on its way from Shreveport to Dallas. No official source for name Mesquite has been found. Speculation suggests it was named because numerous Mesquite trees were found in the area at that time. In the 1870s the town contained little more than a post office, blacksmith, confectionery, train depot and less than half a dozen residences. Mesquite was incorporated in 1887. J. E. Russell served as Mesquite's first mayor. [‡]
‡ City of Mesquite, Texas, History of Mesquite, www.cityofmesquite.com, accessed March, 2012.