Grand Prairie City Hall is located at 317 College Street, Grand Prairie, TX 75050.
Parts of Grand Prairie lie within the boundaries of Tarrant and Ellis counties.
The land that would become Grand Prairie was part of the Peters Colony, a series of land grants purchased by investors and speculators in the 1840s. Alexander MacRae Dechman purchased more than 200 acres of grant lands in 1861. He established a settlement that would become Grand Prairie. In 1876, with the completion of the railroad through the Town of Dechman caused the renaming to Grand Prairie because of its location on the edge of the vast West Texas prairie.
Grand Prairie became more intimately tied to Dallas and Fort Worth in 1902 with the opening of Interurban trolley service.
Grand Prairie was incorporated in 1909 with Stephen P. Lively elected as its first mayor. In 1912 the Spikes Brothers Broom factory relocated from Dallas and the Dalworth Business College opened downtown.
In 1940 the War Department established the Naval Reserve Aviation Base out of Hensley Field resulting in a 15-fold population increase (from 1,000 to 15,000) by the end of the decade.