Sullivan County administrative offices are located at 3411 Highway 126, Blountville, TN 37617; phone: 423-323-6417.
Sullivan County was formed in 1779 by division from Washington County and named in honor of General John Sullivan, an officer in the Continental Army. On February 7, 1780, the county court was organized at the home of Moses Looney. The county courts met in residences (in the County) including Looney's and Yancey's (near Kingsport) and Cox's, at Thomas's Bridge (near Blountville), until 1795. [Sullivan County Regional Plan, www.sullivancountytn.gov, accessed February, 2013.]