Normandy Town Hall is located at 100 Center Street, Normandy, TN 37360.
Photo: Absalom Lowe Landis house, circa 1869, located onThompson's Creek Rod. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. Photographer: wikipedia username: Wpcooper52, 2008, [cc-4.0]; accessed November, 2022.
The Town of Normandy [†] is located on the south bank of the South or Barren Fork of the Duck River at the mouth of Norman's Creek, on the eastern edge of Bedford County. Normandy (elev, 825} is located on the edge of the Eastern Highland Rim, at the base of the "Seven mile hill" to Tullahoma, Settlement centers along the main line of the Seaboard Railroad which passes through the Duck River Valley at this point. The community lies In a green valley formed by the confluence of Norman's, Carr, and Cascade (C)Gage} creeks at Duck River.
The original town site developed around the Norman's Creek railroad crossing, a short distance south of the present downtown area. Older buildings; in this section Include the Gaither House, a large frame cross gable plan house with, wall dormers and a shed porch; the Crosslin House, a smaller cross gable plan cottage; and McQuiddy Hall (1871), a large two story frame house distinguished by a fine entry porch supported by square paneled columns and topped by a sawn balustrade, corner pilasters, and a broad wooden cornice below its tin shingle roof.
The main commercial row is located in the center of town, facing the Seaboard Railroad tracks. The row consists of four late Victorian vernacular commercial structures: the^ Whistle Stop, a two story frame store building with a detailed wooden cornice and original storefront; the Normandy Church of Christ, housed in one story brick store building with rounded arch entry and paneled cornice; the vacant Normandy Masonic Lodge, a two story brick structure in the Italianate style, with rounded arch windows and the original recessed storefront; and the Post Office Block, an early twentieth century complex of four stores, somewhat altered but with two original storefronts with paneled bulkheads and rosette trim. The stores face the Normandy "Square", an open strip of land between the commercial ^ buildings and the railroad, landscaped in the late 1970s by the Tennessee Valley Authority's "Townlift" program following the construction of the Normandy Dam across Duck River, two miles east of the village.
The northeastern quarter of the town was laid out in 1889 by the Normandy Immigration, Real Estate, and Labor Association. The so called "Normandy Addition" contains approximately twenty-three predominantly frame vernacular houses and two brick churches, the Methodist and the Presbyterian. The houses, built in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, are for the most part small frame structures laid out on cross gable and saddlebag floor plans. Houses of particular interest in this section include the Tal ley House, a large Picturesque Vernacular house with wall dormers, sawn gable end decoration, and a bracketed porch; the 1890s Brandon House, a one and one-half story frame Pyramid Vernacular structure, arid a number of small cross gable plan cottages, All houses are located on small well maintained lots and are shaded by mature trees.
† Richard Quin, Historic Preservation Planner, South Central TN Development District, Normandy Historic District, nomination document, 1985, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
Nearby Towns: Wartrace Town •