Orangeburg County administrative offices are located at 1437 Amelia Street, Orangeburg, SC 29115; phone: 803-533-6101. The Orangeburg County Courthouse is located at 190 Gibson Street, Orangeburg, SC 29115; phone: 803-533-6263.
Orangeburg County was first organized about 1769.
Probably the first settlement made by a white person in the territory now embraced by the County of Orangeburg was made on Lyons Creek in 1704, by Henry Sterling, who is supposed to have been an Indian trader. Prior to 1735 few white inhabitants had settled in this section, and these were mostly English, Scotch and Irish.
Probably the first settler in the vicinity of where the present town of Orangeburg is located was John Hearn (pronounced Harn) who lived here as early as 1732. His plantation contained 500 acres.