The Warren County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. 
The Warren County Courthouse was designed by M.E. Beebe of Buffalo, New York in a style combining Italian Renaissance and French architectural concepts. Construction was begun in 1876 and completed in 1877. The materials used are mellow red brick, grey sandstone, slate and iron.
The building measures 72 feet by 122 feet and is modulated by corner "towers" which rise as high as the roofline and by a central entrance projection which is surmounted by a classical pediment with heavy dentil and bracket work. The first story angles and projections have chamfered quoins rising to the broad moulded string course and then continuing through the second story as plain pilasters terminating at the wide overhanging cornice in carved stone capitols. First-story windows are arranged in pairs and have molded arches with keystone. Windows on the second story are aligned with the first-story windows but are taller and have molded round arches.
A wide overhanging cornice supported by heavy brackets forms the base for the convex mansard roof. The roof line is accentuated on all sides by shallow dormers. The dormers are heavily ornamented with full pedimented gables and carved consoles. The roof peak is surmounted by iron grill work and elaborate finials. A large 4-sided dome with convex sides rises above the roof. A square clock tower rises from the dome. The tower is surmounted by a smaller 4-side convex roof which is topped by a statue of justice. The decoration on the dome is very elaborate and in the window detail features much carved wood work of a sculptural nature. The triple baroque window on the main facade is particularly impressive.
The Warren County Courthouse is in excellent condition and has undergone only minor changes. A small addition was made to the rear of the building in 1925. The latter addition has been done in similar style and construction.
The Warren County Courthouse was built at a total cost of $100,000. The large brick and stone building was designed by M. E. Beebe of Buffalo, New York in an Italian Renaissance style. The Warren County Courthouse occupies a corner lot at Market Street and Fourth Avenue in an area originally intended to be Warren's business center. The area however became a residential area and the Warren County Courthouse has long served as an aesthetic landmark in Warren. The court house with its exuberant and often Baroque detail is an excellent example of the 19th century Victorian court house.
Historic Buildings in Warren County, Vol. 1, September 1971, Warren County Historical Society.
Atlas of Warren County, 1878, Howden & Odbert (engraving).
"Warren County Court House", pamphlet, 1963.