Pleasantville [†]is located in Venango County, PA. The town was originally called Benedictown after early pioneer, Aaron Benedict, who came to the area from New York in 1819. A charter for the borough was granted in 1850. Population maintained steady at around 300 inhabitants until the discovery of oil in 1865. By 1868, numerous wells were in full production and nearly 3000 people arrived in the borough. General stores, banks, and oil supply businesses prospered during the oil boom. The large scale homes built in the early 1870's were a direct result of revenue from oil. By the mid 1870's oil production had greatly diminished and the borough's population fell concurrently. The borough population, although slowly declining, has not changed significantly in the twentieth century.
Prior to the Oil Boom, Pleasantville lacked homes of large scale. The earliest structures that remain in some form today are small, single story Greek Revivals. These structures were built around 1830 and include the Aaron Benedict House at 258 North Main. A similar house at 342 North Main is thought to be the oldest structure in the borough. It was constructed in 1823 as a Baptist parsonage. Another 1830 Greek Revival house was erected on North Main for early Pleasantville pioneer Austin Merrick. All three buildings have been remodeled over the years.
&dahher; Kathy Coffaro, Connely/Holeman House, nomination document, National Register of Historic Places, 2007, Washington, D.C..
Nearby Towns: Titusville City •