Newport Borough Hall is located at 231 Market Street, Newport PA 17074.
The Newport Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Newport is located on the west bank of the Juniata River, within the limits of Oliver Township. In 1775, David English warranted land where Newport is now located. He sold 199 acres to his son; in 1783, who in 1789, sold it to Paul Reider. He willed it to his sons who plotted it into fifty-four lots. The town was first known as Reider's Ferry, and then Reidersville. The name was changed to Newport in 1829. Newport was incorporated in 1840. The first borough election was held on March 20, 1840. Samuel Leiby, Sr., was the first burgess.