The village of Woxall was originally known as Kroppestettel, which in Pennsylvania Dutch means Crowtown. The village was later named Mechanicsville. By the end of the eighteenth century, the town contained a hotel and restaurant, town hall, shoe shop, wheelwright, and 12 homes. The village kept the name Mechanicsville until 1888 when a post office was established. A new name needed to be selected for the post office because another Pennsylvania town had the same name. After much discussion, residents submitted the name Noxall, "Knocks All," to postal authorities. The name had been read on the side of a bar of a box of soap in the village store. Evidently, they misread the "N" for a "W" and approved the name Woxall for the post office.
The Village of Woxall grew up near the Old Goschenhoppen Church, erected in 1744, where Lutheran and Reformed congregations met. With the arrival of the railroad in 1868, Salfordville, which prospered without railroad or trolley, grew around an old inn. By 1877 it contained a post office, general store, cigar factory, and 19 homes. 
Perkiomenville Road • Skippack Road