The West Park Historic District [†] was established on December 21, 2000 by City Ordinance #13881 and was certified by the P.H.M.C. on February 21, 2001. This area is the newest district in the City and the first to be outside of the center city area. The district itself is centered around and named after the City’s first park, West Park. The homes in the district are good examples of Colonial Revival and Queen Anne styles. The City of Allentown began creating the park in 1906. Construction of homes in this district took place between the late 1890’s and the mid 1920’s. Many of the homes built around the park are row homes, a typical type of home prior to twentieth century. There is a consistent setback from the right-of- way seen in the homes surrounding West Park through a mixture of front yards and porches. A transition in architectural style is also captured in the West Park District. The row home adaptation of the Victorian Queen Anne style had fallen out of favor and the Colonial Revival style had come to replace it. Additional styles present in the West Park District include Arts and Crafts, Prairie and Shingle style.
† Allentown Historic Architectural Review Board, Guidelines for Historic Districts, 2012, www.allentownpa.gov, accessed September, 2021.
15th Street North • 16th Street North • 17th Street North • Franklin Street North • Linden Street • Turner Street • West Street North