Thompsontown Borough Hall is located on State Street, Thompsontown PA 17094.
Thompsontown was named in honor of William Thompson, at whose instance it was laid out and surveyed by James Wood in 1790. Colonel Samuel Hunter acquired a tract of three hundred acres on Delaware Run on a warrant dated July 20, 1755. On August 1, 1765, John Tennis, who came from Montgomery County, made an article of agreement with Hunter for this tract and on July 4, 1772, received the deed to it. In 1770 he sold to John Kepler one hundred and sixty acres of the tract on which the borough of Thompsontown now stands.
Michael Quiggle, who had been a settler in Fermanagh Township from the year 1774, purchased a part of the Hunter tract from Kepler and, on September 13, 1785, sold it to William Thompson, the founder of the town. William Thompson, born in 1755, was the second son of John Thompson, the ancestor of the Thompson family in America.
Thompsontown was incorporated as a borough on February 7, 1868.