East Brady Borough Hall is located at 502 Ferry Street, East Brady PA 16028.
East Brady received its name from the famous scout and Indian fighter, Captain Samuel Brady. In 1782, Captain Brady pursued a party of Indians who were on their way north with a number of prisoners from Westmoreland County. After nightfall their camp was discovered and Brady appeared and addressed them in their own tongue. The Indians supposing it to be another Indian party, gave him full particulars of their prisoners, strength of band, etc. The pursuing party forded the river, went down to the encampment, surrounded and killed the Indians and rescued the prisoners. Mr. J. M. Cunningham came to East Brady in 1854, and built the first farmhouse. He owned all the land that is now East Brady. In 1867, he opened a hardware store. In 1854, Mr. Sedwick built and occupied what is now known as the Central Hotel. About this time another house was built near the hotel and was occupied by Thomas Horton, the ferryman. In 1866, the town was regularly laid off in lots. After that the town grew rapidly.
The Bradys Bend Iron Company was the largest industry when East Brady was built. Most of the employees lived in East Brady and traveled by a ferry boat until 1869, when a bridge was built across the Allegheny River. In 1884, it fell and was then replaced by an iron bridge which is still in use. There were two coal mines opened in 1878 and 1879. They were the Bradys Bend Mining Company, and the Pine Run Mining Company. The mines combined, employed about three hundred men.
Later, the Pittsburgh Limestone Company opened a limestone mine in Bradys Bend, and now offers employment to a number of residents in East Brady. In April, 1917, the Rex-Hide Incorporated opened its factory, and now manufactures Rex-Hide brake lining and wind shield wipers.
The Keystone Mining Company operates a number of mines in this section of the county.
Soon after the first settlement of the town, a small school house was built. In 1872, a larger building was built and was occupied until 1910-11, when the present building was built. In 1929-30, an annex was added to the present building. The present school system is under the supervision of Principal A. F. Reed.
The first church was built and was intended as a union house of worship, but the Protestant denominations soon branched out; the Methodists early in 1868, and the Presbyterians soon after. In 1877, the Methodists built a large two-story church edifice which cost $5,000. The church is still in use. In 1885, the Presbyterians built a church costing $3,500. They occupied this church until 1928, at which time Mr. N. E. Graham gave his home to the church. The home was remodeled into a beautiful church. The Baptists built their church in the year 1883.
St. Eusebius Roman Catholic Church was built in 1877, and the first priest was Father Brady.
The Peoples National Bank was chartered in May 16, 1900, and was then located in the Mobley building. Later the bank moved into its present location.
The first newspaper was published in 1869 by Colonel Samuel Young. The paper changed hands several times, and at the present is owned by S. L. Pickens. It is a weekly paper.